Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Homemade Caramels..mmmm

Yesterday I got a craving for caramels but couldn't find anything that looked good at the store. So I decided to make my own. The first batch turned out ok-- the flavor is great, but its too soft (I should have cooked it longer/hotter). Then my mother in law heard about my efforts and gave me her grandmother and great-aunt's recipe. Tomorrow I'm going to go to the grocery store and get the ingredients to try again. 

Great Grandma's English Caramels
 1 bottle of light Karo syrup
1/4 C. butter
 2 C. sugar
1 can evaporated milk added slowly
1 teasp vanilla
2 cup of chopped English Walnuts or Black Walnuts (they usually went out and collected the nuts in the country) 

cook until just reaches 250 degrees, pour out into shallow buttered pan..do not put in fridge to cool. cut into small rectangles, wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate 

No comments: