Monday, March 31, 2008

Knitted Gifts

When the mailman came today I wasn't sure I wanted to go out and bring the mail in because it was so cold and wet and icky outside. But then I saw the package sitting on top of the mailbox. I wasn't expecting anything, what could this be? The return address told me it came from my friend Cassie, who moved across the state to California in January. I wasn't expecting anything from her...

I ripped the package open and pulled out a gorgeous pair of socks! I love hand knit socks but, I confess, I don't like using tiny needles. So all my socks are thick, done on size 3 or 5 needles. So a pair of thin, lacey socks is a real treat for me! And you can tell she knows me well; they are in my favorite color--green! I believe the yarn is Panda Wool and the pattern is textured and lacey, quite lovely. She even incorporated her own signature toe-- each sock has a toe the slants the way that toes actually slant. Have you ever looked at your toes and then compared them to socks. Toes don't actually come to a point in the middle the way socks normally do. So its very clever of Cassie to knit them with "anatomically correct" toes. I'm pretty sure this is the first knitted gift I've ever been given.

Once I had the socks securely on my feet, I noticed that there was more in the bag-- a book! I love Stephanie Pearl McPhee's humor and writing and own several of her books already, Casts Off will make a great addition. And its perfect timing-- I am going to a book signing by the Yarn Harlot next week!

Cassie-- I can't thank you enough!

p.s. Cassie is one of the most talented knitters I know. She does exquisite lace, designs her own sweaters. I know I've mentioned her before-- she was the one who gave me the beautiful hand spun yarn in dark red, green and brown.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awww, you'll make me blush. :) Glad you like them, and jealous you get to go see the Yarn Harlot.