Monday, February 26, 2007

No time for knitting

Next week is midterms so I should be spending all of my time writing papers and studying for exams. I have absolutely zero motivation to do so, however (a symptom of the Seniorittis I've been combating all semester) and really just want to work on my many knitting projects. There seems to be a real push towards finishing works in progress and using your stash among knitters right now but I am going to take a stand and say I disagree. I like having lots of projects going at one time. The only time it stresses me out is when I have deadlines for some of the projects (birthdays, holidays, etc). Otherwise I like having lots of projects to look at and think about and a selection of different types of knitting to work on depending on my mood. I keep a really simple ribbed shell by my bed so that if I want to do some knitting while watching tv in bed I have something mindless to work on while I get sleepy. I keep a pair of mitts or socks in my bag at all time so that if i have a few minutes before class starts I have a small project to pull out. Then I have lace on size 1 needles for when my mind is alert and I want a challenge or a ribbed toboggan on size 5s for when I'm brain dead. I have other projects that I rarely work on but they don't make me feel guilty. I haven't forgotten about them, I just know that there is no rush and they are happy waiting for a while. I even have one project that I only work on when I travel- my Journey Shawl. It is going to take years to finish because I don't travel very often but everytime I look at it I think of the places I visited while working on it.

As for my stash, I don't have a problem with it either. I really have two stashes, I guess. One is what Jo calls "BoBo Yarn"-- random stuff I probably wouldn't buy but that has been given to me by people cleaning out their own stashes. This stash currently resides in plastic trash bags in the trunk of my car (the only place I have space for it). Most of it will eventually be used for charity knitting. My real stash is mainly left over yarn from projects I have completed. Sure there are a few skeins of yarn I have purchased because I just couldn't resist but I rarely buy yarn w/o a project in mind and I usually get the project started right away, moving the yarn from the "stash" to the "works in progress" list.

So no, I don't feel bad about having 17 works in progress. I just wish I had more time to work on them.

1 comment:

Cass said...

I'm inclined to agree with you. While I certainly enjoy the thrill of being able to wear a newly finished something, it's the process that's really important. Deadline knitting never seems to be nearly as fun. Welcome to the blogosphere
Cass